Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Homemade Granola



We eat a lot of yogurt and granola in our house.  How about you?  Granola has gotten quite pricey and so many of the kinds in the store are very high in fat.  So I decided to start making my own.  It has been a work in progress and I think I have found a good balance.  Sweet, with heart healthy nuts, and some chewy dried fruit, perfect start to your morning.  It makes a great snack too.  This is a great recipe to customize to your liking.  You can use any type of nut, dried fruit, or sweetener that you like.  It's super easy and makes a lot!

Ingredients:

8 cups of Quick Cooking Oatmeal
1/2 - 3/4 cup honey (or maple syrup) I like mine sweet so I used 3/4 cup.
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup slivered almonds ( or nut of your choice)
1 cup dried fruit (I used dried cherries)
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon vanilla

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Tossing to thoroughly combine.  Spread out on a large baking sheet.  Using your hands form clusters.

Bake at 300 for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown.  Watch closely as to not burn it.

Enjoy! Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment