Thursday, September 29, 2011

Apple Spiced Caramel Popcorn





I have been obsessed with popcorn ever since I made the chocolate popcorn over a month ago.  I have been making this caramel popcorn for a long time and it is always a huge hit with the whole family.  I wanted to add some fall flavor so I added some apple pie spice and I *love* how it turned out.  Just the right hint of apple and spice with the sweetness of the caramel.  This popcorn is absolutely wonderful without the spice too.  I would really like to blame my children for how quickly this popcorn went but I would be a big popcorn stuffed liar.  This makes a great snack but I think this is such fun party food too.  Perfect to serve at  a Halloween party.


Tips:
I think this would be great with pumpkin pie spice too.  This would be fun to serve for guests to snack on while Thanksgiving dinner is being prepared.  


If you like your popcorn lightly coated use 3 bags, if you like it heavily coated (as myself) use 2 bags of popcorn.


Ingredients:



  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
  • 2-3 bags of popped microwave popcorn

Directions:

Preheat oven to 250.  Place popcorn in a large bowl.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Add brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Boil 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract, apple pie spice and baking soda.

Pour over popcorn tossing well to coat.  Spread onto a large baking sheet.  Bake at 250 for 45 minutes tossing every 15 minutes.

Let cool before breaking into pieces.  I find this step very difficult. =)

Enjoy!





Print this post

1 comment:

  1. I brought some to church this morning and EVERYONE wants the recipe... it is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete