Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Skillet Cornbread

I don't think I could call myself a southern cook if I didn't have a cornbread recipe to share. Whew, thank goodness I do! Rather your crumbling this into soup beans or serving it up with your favorite southern meal, cornbread is ultimate southern comfort! 


1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 whole egg
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda




Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat shortening in an iron skillet, muffin pan, or other baking pan. Combine corn meal, flour, and salt in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, and egg. Add baking powder and baking soda. Stir. Add ¼ cup melted shortening, stirring constantly. Pour into hot pan, smoothing surface with spatula. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.


Enjoy!



Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment