Thursday, March 17, 2011

Luck O' The Irish Stew

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I love holidays!! Any reason to celebrate and eat food! I made this stew and it was delicious. I don't know how authentic to Ireland it actually is, so if your Irish and it's not, don't hate me. It was easy to prepare and in a little over an hour you have a hearty bowl of stew. I have heard that a bottle of Guinness added makes it even more delicious. I did not add it in however, my husband chose to drink it instead!

Ingredients:

1 pound boneless lamb or beef stew meat
4 cups beef broth
2 medium onions, chopped
4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
4 medium carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup all- purpose flour

In a large saucepan, combine meat, beef broth, onions, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Skim off fat.

Add potatoes, carrots, thyme, and basil. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.

Stir together the water and flour. Stir mixture into the stew. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment