Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yogurt Cranberry Coffee Cake

I love breakfast foods. I do try to eat a healthy breakfast to counter all the "other" choices I will probably make during the day. Like the rest of you, my mornings are very busy. Getting the kids ready, breakfast, school runs. Breakfast during the week has to be just that, fast. I like to make something at the beginning of the week that the kids and I can eat on throughout the week. Muffins, Breads, Egg Bakes, Coffeecakes. This coffee cake is wonderful. I have altered it a bit to make it healthier. I will list the original recipe and also list the changes I made. I use White Whole Wheat Flour for a lot of my baking. The only brand here that sells White Wheat is King Arthur. (My favorite flour brand) Check your grocery stores and see if you can find it. It makes much lighter baked goods in both color and texture then regular Whole Wheat flour. My kids can't even tell they are eating wheat bread when I use it. If your new to whole wheat you might want to try half all- purpose and half whole wheat. This recipe makes a great coffeecake to serve for brunch. It can be made in a 9 x 13 in. pan or a bundt pan. If I'm serving it for company I top it with some candied fresh cranberries. If you would like to know how to make candy cranberries leave me a comment and I will tell you how. 


Ingredients:


1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (I replace half of the butter with 1/2 cup applesauce)
1 cup  brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup (8 ounces) plain or flavored yogurt
1 teaspoon almond extract or or orange extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour or White Whole Wheat Flour ( I use all White Wheat flour)

1 can whole cranberry sauce


In a bowl cream together the butter and brown sugar and apple sauce if you are using it, beating until smooth. Beat in the eggs, scraping the bowl and again beating until smooth. Beat in the yogurt, extracts, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour. The mixture will be fairly stiff. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan. Dollop the cranberry sauce on top, breaking it up with a fork first, if necessary. Swirl the cranberry sauce with a knife throughout.

 Bake coffeecake for 30- 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 





Enjoy!





Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment