Friday, July 22, 2011

Peach-Blueberry Upside -Down Cake





Summertime is this foodies favorite time of year, by far!  I love the warm weather, but I also love all the fresh fruits and vegetables.  It makes cooking even more enjoyable.  Yes, I find cooking very enjoyable.  Actually, it's therapeutic for me.  My husband might come home to find me rocking with a crazed look on my face, talking to myself if I didn't cook/bake.  Oh wait, he does.  I'm kidding!  I have wonderful, rumbustious children!  


This cake is so moist!  It has wonderful sweetness from the fruit and the brown sugar and honey glaze it creates when baking.  You can use frozen blueberries, just make sure you use them straight out of the freezer so they hold their shape.  This would be great served for brunch too!








Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter, softened and divided
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
3 medium peaches
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup sugar (granulated)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla


Directions:


Preheat oven to 350.  Melt 1/4 cup butter in a 9-inch round cake pan (sides need to be at least 2 inches high)
in preheated oven.  Remove from oven and using a pastry brush, coat sides with the melted butter from the pan.  Sprinkle brown sugar; drizzle honey over brown sugar.  Arrange peach slices in concentric circles (see image below) over brown sugar mixture.  Sprinkle with blueberries.


Beat granulated sugar and remaining 1/2 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended.  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.


Stir together flour and baking powder.  Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.  Spoon batter over the blueberries and peaches.


Bake at 350. for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.  Carefully run a knife around edge of cake to loosen.  Invert cake onto a serving plate or cake stand (it needs to have edges like mine).  Spoon any remaining topping in pan over cake.  


Enjoy!


You can check out this recipe on http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/  and http://tidymom.net/ Print this post

5 comments:

  1. OMG! It looks so yummy! Thanks for the lovely recipe. Great creative space you got here.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peaches are gorgeous here now. What a nice use for them. Saw your post on Sweet as Sugar Cookies linky party and I invite you to check out the one I just added. Please come visit me at www.thebloomingplatter.com. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is going to come in handy when my peaches are ripe. I have already picked and put my berries in the freezer. Thanks for such a great addition to my recipes.
    New follower from Sweets for Saturday. Hope you follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The recipe doesn't say what to do with the vanilla extract...

    ReplyDelete