Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Southern Fried Apples

This recipe is my "spin" on Cracker Barrel's fried apples.  I love their fried apples.  Matter of fact, I love all their food.  For my birthday last year, my husband asked me where I would like him to take me to dinner. "Anywhere you want baby", he says.  My reply, "Cracker Barrel."  He just looked at me like "you are so country, girl."  These apples go well with so much.  They make a great breakfast side or pancake topping. They are wonderful for dessert topped with a little vanilla ice cream.  They make a perfect side to chicken or Coca Cola Baked Ham.  Yes, that recipe is coming next =).  I make mine in a cast iron skillet (because I love to use it as often as possible).  Granny Smith work best, but really any apple you like or have around will do.

Ingredients:

6 large apples
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
pinch of salt
juice of half a lemon

Slice apples off the core.  Then slice them at an angle.

Melt butter in a large skillet.  Place apple slices in skillet, top with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Squeeze lemon half over apples.  Toss to coat.  Cook until apples are tender.  Stirring often to coat with the mixture.  Pour into a serving dish.  Make sure you get all the yummy syrup it makes.  Serve warm or chilled.

Enjoy!


Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment