Monday, September 5, 2011

Tomato and Peach Salad



Happy Labor Day!  I hope you have all had a wonderful holiday weekend.  I sure have!  It's so nice to have my husband and kids all home to spend quality time together.  My husband is ecstatic that College Football has started.  There are lots of things this weekend ushers in.  But mostly it ushers in fall.  I love fall.  I'm always sad to see Summer go though.  This recipe is kind of my last hoopla with Summer food.  I got the tomatoes at a local farmers market.  I had never had purple or candystripe tomatoes before. They were wonderful and less acidic. You can use any tomatoes you'd like.  Fresh tomatoes, juicy peaches, and tangy goat cheese.  The flavors melded perfectly.  It is a wonderful side salad to grilled chicken.  I  could have eaten the whole platter by myself.  This is a cinch to make and it's so pretty to serve too.  I'm looking forward to some fall baking, game day food, and some hearty meals!  Enjoy the rest of your week!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large fresh peach, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, sliced
3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake pecans in a single layer on a shallow baking pan8 to 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring half way through.

Whisk together vinegar and next 4 ingredients.  Stir in diced peach and fresh basil.  Spoon over sliced heirloom tomatoes; top with crumbled goat cheese and toasted pecans.  Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment