Thursday, July 28, 2011

Crab Bisque



When we lived in Michigan there was a great little restaurant that made the BEST Lobster Bisque.  They serve it every Friday and it is really wonderful.  After trying to talk the cook into giving me the recipe (several times) with no success I made up my own.  I don't blame him!  I gotta say mine is a really good rival.  I swapped out the Lobster for Crab.  I think it tastes better and it is cheaper and more readily available.  The makes a very creamy and delicious soup with just a tiny kick.  It's one of our absolute favorites and I think it will be one of yours too.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 can (16 ounce) lump crab meat
2 cups chicken broth
1 can (15 ounce)  tomato sauce
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sherry cooking wine
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Juice from half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large soup pot melt butter over medium heat.  Add flour and whisk until completely combined.  Cook over medium heat for 1 minute.  Add chicken stock and whisk constantly until smooth.  Once smooth add the tomato sauce, heavy cream, sherry cooking wine, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.  Stir to combine.  Gently fold in can of crab meat; breaking up the crab slightly.  Add salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze in lemon juice.  Simmer on low-medium till heated through; approximately 15 minutes.  You can use fresh crab meat if you prefer, you will need 1 pound.

Enjoy! Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment