Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Herbed Scalloped Potatoes

I am giving you this recipe because I really love you. I mean *love* you! There are two reasons for this. One they are the most creamy, dreamy potatoes you will put in your mouth. They will impress your boss, your spouse, your boyfriend, girlfriend, you name it. They are elegant enough for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, any special occasion. They are really just that special dish that makes a meal. The second reason being I nearly cut my finger off making them. After seeing Tyler Florence on the Food Network using a mandolin, I knew I had to have one. No, not the instrument, the kitchen slicing device. It slices potatoes really thin, cuts fries, etc. It has an extremely sharp blade. Do you see where this is headed? While removing the sticker that said "Caution, extremely sharp blade" I said to myself "Rachel, you are going to end up cutting yourself on this." Well, I was correct. I mean a big chunk of my finger! Doesn't that put you in the mood for this dish?! I was tempted to post a picture but my common sense kicked in. Look for it on Facebook! haha Anyways, the mandolin works great and I will use it again, only more carefully! You can also use a knife to slice the potatoes, just try to slice them as thin as possible and as even in size as possible. They were worth it, pain and all! You can use whatever fresh herbs you have for this dish. (Chives, Dill, Basil, etc.) These go perfect with a nice steak!

Ingredients:

5 whole russet potatoes
1 stick butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk (half and half works too)
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
salt and pepper
1/2 shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Slice potatoes thinly. Try to keep fingers intact.


Add butter to a large skillet over medium low heat. When melted, add diced onion. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cream cheese to the pan and stir to melt. Pour in cream and milk, stirring to combine.
Season with plenty of salt and pepper, then add chopped herbs. Taste the sauce, it should taste salty because once the potatoes are added it will all blend together.
Place potatoes in a buttered baking dish. Pour contents of skillet over the top. Top with Parmesan cheese and bake for 45 minutes, or until bubbly.
Allow potatoes to sit 15 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!






Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment